• A+
  • A-
  • NEWS

Garbage, Recycling & Yard Waste

The Sanitation Utility provides for the collection of garbage refuse and recycling through contracted services. The Village also operates a licensed Yard Waste Compost Site that village residents can deposit brush and yard waste.

The Village is proactive in advocating the appropriate disposal of hazardous household chemicals, prescription medications, pollutants, yard waste, and standard household waste, because of the negative impacts they can have on personal health, the local environment, and on the Village’s infrastructure.

It is imperative that the community understands the risks associated with the improper disposal of these substances so we can all work together to maintain and improve our beautiful neighborhoods. To serve that purpose, we have a few basic guidelines and programs that are meant to serve you and your garbage and recycling needs.

The Tri-County Recycling & Solid Waste partnership handles recycled items and refuse waste for Brown, Outagamie, and Winnebago counties.  For more information visit Tri County website

Recycling Requirements

Items to be recycled: • Cartons (Milk, Juice, Soup, Wine, etc.) • Dairy Containers (yogurt, sour cream, margarine, cottage cheese, etc.) • Produce, bakery and deli containers (berry, donut, potatoes salad, etc.) • Lids from above containers

Check out the Northeast Wisconsin Recycling Guide 

In Wisconsin, you cannot put many recyclable or compostable items in the trash. Wisconsin's recycling law bans the landfilling or incineration of these materials to conserve valuable resources. These disposal bans went into effect in several stages, beginning in the 1990s. Two new bans took effect in 2010 and 2011, covering electronics and used oil filters. The following flyer depicts what is required to be recycled in Wisconsin: is the "go to" website for residents to find detailed, up-to-date information about recycling. 

Compost Site (Yard Waste)

Compost Site (Yard Waste) 
The Village operates a licensed compost site that permitted village residents can deposit brush and yard waste. Contractors may use the site provided a Contractor's Permit is applied for with the Village. This site it intended for permitted village residents and contractors use only. For Contractors to be eligible for a compost permit, the business must be located with in village limits and hold a valid Home Occupation Permit. Illegal use of the compost site is prohibited.

The materials are recycled into compost and mulch which can be reused by residents. In addition, the Village offers seasonal curbside brush pick-up twice per year.

Do not dispose of yard waste in storm drains or local waterways. Yard waste congests the storm water management systems and inhibits the efficient removal of storm water. Furthermore, when organic yard waste is introduced into local waterways, it becomes food for algae blooms. These blooms limit the recreational potential for the body of water and also have negative impacts on fish and wildlife populations.

Myths about the perfect lawn

Auto Maintenance

Washing your car:

Every local commercial carwash sends its refuse to the water treatment plant, so using one of these would ideally be the best option. (Not to mention it supports local businesses!) However, if you wish to wash your car at home, please do so on your lawn or a gravel driveway, and use biodegradable soap. This keeps the water and particulate pollutants (grease, oil, grime, sand, etc.) from entering our storm water management system and local waterways. 

Oil Changes:

Motor oil should not be disposed of in the sanitary sewer, storm water drains, or by dumping at an unauthorized site. Motor oil is insoluble in water and has a negative impact on local fish and wildlife and vegetation. Motor oil can be disposed of at the Public Works Facility (2828 Allouez Avenue).

If that location is not convenient for you, perhaps some of these locations might be more suitable.

*One quart of oil can contaminate up to 250,000 gallons of water.

Used Oil Filters, Absorbent Pads, and Oil Rags:

Starting in 2011, Wisconsin State Law began prohibiting the disposal of used oil filters and oil absorbent pads and rags in landfills. In 2012, the law was amended to allow oil absorbent pads and rags, provided they do not contain free flowing oil, and the other absorbents are not hazardous. Recycling options are available in the area. Many places that perform oil changes will recycle used filters for free, or some will issue a small fee. Known businesses that accept used oil filters include:

-The De Pere Walmart

-Sam's Club

-Halron Lubricants Inc.

More about Acts 86 and 152

Questions to ask any potential oil filter recycling vendor

Additional information about auto maintenance

Precription Medications

Prescription medications should not be disposed of in the garbage or by being flushed down any sanitary or storm water sewer. Some of these controlled substances do not break down naturally, and the presence of these drugs has been found to be increasing in surface waters and in drinking water. Exposure to these substances in drinking water, even in low doses, could have negative long-term health effects.

The Brown County Sheriff's Office accepts your old perscription medications Monday - Friday from 8am - 4pm. Their office is located at 2684 Development Drive in Bellevue. The Sheriff's Department will also sponsor drop off sites throughout the year during elections. Please check our website to see if a special dropoff is being conducted before bringing prescriptions to an election.

Household & Hazardous Waste Recycling

Household & hazardous waste recycling is handled through Brown County recycling programs.

Hazardous waste materials may include:

  • Household Cleaners
  • Lawn and Garden Products
  • Automotive Fluids
  • Paints and Paint Related Products

Click here for a detailed list.

Click here for more information on recycling in Brown County.